To apply: Please send a CV & one page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, addressed to Dave Jones. Please attach an example of a data visualisation that you have created, with a description of the design process and how it’s suitable for the target audience.
Ember is recruiting a data visualisation expert to push our data viz to the next level, as our organisation continues to expand internationally. We already have a great reputation for providing clear and eye-catching graphics that have helped shape the narrative for the electricity transition and/or resulted in direct policy change. Data can help change the world, but only when people can understand it. Your work will have real impact in moving the world towards a zero-carbon power system, in a fast growing and innovative organisation.
You will guide and support the rest of the Ember team to help them create stunning graphics, and also lead on our dataviz strategy, as we grow our team in Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa. The role will report into the Global Programme Lead. It’s expected you would line-manage at least one junior data analyst.
Location: Preferably UK-based, able to attend quarterly meetings in London. Remote working available for an exceptional candidate.
- Develop Ember’s data viz strategy, including the running and expansion of Ember’s data viz capabilities.
- Provide design and technical support to the whole Ember team, and help guide them to create stunning graphics.
- Design visualisations for Ember’s flagship reports (the European and Global Electricity Reviews).
- Create and manage data visualisations on Ember’s new website.
- 3 years+ experience in data visualisation.
- Strong skills in at least one visualisation technology for digital graphics (e.g. Flourish, D3, ggplot2, Adobe Illustrator).
- A passion for creating beautiful and impactful data visualisations – especially in the context of tackling climate change.
- Comfortable handling and analysing datasets. Either in spreadsheets or programming languages.
- Proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions.
- Strong team collaboration.
- Experience in using one or more programming languages, such as R, python or SQL.
- An understanding of energy data – and ideally electricity data.
- Experience creating data dashboards.
- Experience in graphic design.
- Interest in leading a small team in the future.
Salary and Hours:
- £40-50,000 depending on experience
- Full time contract, initially for one year with the expectation of extension
Holiday and Pension
- Enhanced leave allowance of 25 days holiday (in addition to UK Bank Holidays). Plus additional time off between Christmas and New Year. For each year that you’re part of the team at Ember you’ll receive an additional 1 day of leave, up to a maximum of 5 additional days.
- A pension plan with employer contribution of 3%
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working
- London office includes yoga, weekly lunches, and monthly socials
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Paid Volunteer Day
- Time-off to donate blood
- Free annual eye tests
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and to phase out coal and gas generation. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.