To apply: Complete the online application form to submit your CV & one page cover letter addressed to Alison Candlin. Please also include your earliest start date, an example of a digital communication you created (eg on social media, web), and a suggested tweet written for the Ember account promoting this recent report.
We are recruiting a Digital Communications Intern to join Ember, an innovative global think tank focused on tackling climate change, for a 3-6 month paid placement (preferably starting in June 2022)
You will join the team at a crucial time to help Ember increase its reach and impact as we help shift the world from coal to clean electricity. In this role, you will develop your skills across a range of key digital communications tools and deepen your understanding of climate campaigns. You will work closely with Ember’s comms and policy teams across Europe and Asia, expanding your understanding of different cultures and learning how to work in a remote-first workplace.
It’s an exciting opportunity for a hardworking, passionate and innovative person who is looking to kickstart their career in climate communications. At the end of your placement, you will receive a letter of reference and a portfolio of digital assets you have worked on.
Location: UK (remote or London office). Must have the right to work in the UK.
- Editing and improving Ember’s website using WordPress and other tools
- Mapping stakeholders with policy teams and inputting contacts into our new CRM
- Social media influencer mapping using tools like Followerwonk
- Conducting an analysis of Ember’s digital presence compared to other similar NGOs
- Creating videos and visuals for social media using design tools like Canva
- Media analysis using Meltwater
- Contacting target podcasts to offer Ember spokespeople
- Support Ember’s upcoming research on climate and energy, including for COP27
- A passion for tackling climate change
- Good computer skills and familiarity with common web-based programs (e.g. G-Suite or WordPress)
- Some design skills (e.g. Canva, Adobe)
- Active usage of various social media platforms, and a keen interest and creativity in using innovative modern technologies to deliver messages
- Strong writing and communication skills, with a feel for digital audiences
- Attention to detail and good organisational skills, with the ability to self-motivate
- Excellent command of English, spoken & written
- Fluency in another language (particularly Polish, Arabic, Turkish, Chinese or any Asian language)
- Degree in a relevant field, for example, journalism, digital marketing, climate, energy
- Proven experience in a range of digital communications tools
Salary and Hours:
- £20,500 p.a. (London Living Wage), 35 hours per week
- 3 – 6 month duration
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and to phase out coal and gas generation. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.