Communications Officer (Asia)
Bring your communications expertise to create and publish engaging content, and support a variety of communications activities to strengthen an exciting coalition of global NGOs at a pivotal moment in the journey to end coal power.
Ember is recruiting a Communications Officer in Asia with exceptional digital communications skills, a great attention to detail and ability to adapt in a fast-paced environment, to push our communications work in Asia to the next level, as our organisation continues to expand internationally.
We already have a great reputation for providing clear and captivating data-driven content and communications materials that have helped shape the narrative around the electricity transition, empower campaigners and/or resulted in both direct and indirect policy change. Your work will have a real impact in moving the world towards a zero-carbon electricity system, in a fast growing and innovative organisation.
You will support and contribute to the rest of the Ember communications team to help them create compelling data-driven content and communications materials for audience groups in our target Asian countries, as we grow our team in Asia and around the world. The role will report to the Communications Manager Asia.
- Work with lead authors to improve the quality and clarity of Ember’s analyses and create and deliver dissemination plan for each launch
- Manage and maintain a number of digital communications activities, including: creating, improving and maintaining website content, scheduling and monitoring social media within Asia time zones, creating videos and visuals for social media using design tools like Canva, monitoring social media influencers as well as Ember’s digital presence and media outreach in Asia using tools like Followerwonk and Meltwater, regularly collect key metrics to evaluate Ember’s communications impact, building on existing strategies to expand content output and innovate on delivery
- Ensure that all final Ember outputs are clear, visually engaging, proofread and in line with the organisation’s voice and style guidelines
- Liaising with external designers, translators and other third parties to ensure that all outputs are completed on time and to high quality
- Work closely with Communications Officer in other regions to prepare and publish monthly newsletter
- Minimum 3 years working as a communications professional, preferably for a climate think tank, NGO, foundation or other not-for-profit organisation
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, with experience in digital communications
- Proficiency managing and creating content for social media, website and other communications channels
- An eye for design and proficiency in creating visual content
- Ability to plan, schedule and manage priorities, and work well autonomously
- Ability to manage expectations and work well with different teams and stakeholders
- Strong administrative skills
- Passionate about phasing out coal in Asia
- Fluent in English and at least one Asian language
Nice to have
- Communications experience in energy and/or climate sector
- Experience using tools like WordPress, Mailchimp, Followerwonk and Meltwater
- Basic proficiency in design programs like Canva and/or any Adobe CC products
- An established network in the energy and climate space, especially in Asia
- Experience running or assisting with events and forums
- Fascination with data and data visualisation, to complement Ember’s strong Data and Dataviz teams
Salary & hours
- Annual salary: £28,000 - £35,000 depending on experience
- Contract: Full time (35 hours), permanent subject to a 3 month probationary period. For employees based outside of the UK, a local payroll contract is available, dependent on the country.
Deadline for applications
The application closes at 23:59 (UK time) on 06 November 2022.
How to apply
Applications for this post have now closed.
Full job spec
The job details can be downloaded belowJD-Communications Officer Asia (1) — PDF 56 KB
Working at Ember
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and to phase out coal. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy.
You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.