Electricity Policy Analyst, India
Join Ember’s fast-growing policy team in Asia and help unlock solutions to expedite India’s clean energy transition.
Ember has been working on addressing key electricity transition challenges in India for more than three years. We are now looking to amplify our impact. You will work with Ember’s electricity policy experts from across Asia and a community of national energy experts from India, to inform power sector policies and be a reliable voice in shaping India’s transition.
We’re committed to providing a great place to work at a competitive salary. We invest in our staff, offer flexible working conditions and pride ourselves on being an open and collaborative workplace. We’re a friendly and supportive team, and all passionately committed to addressing the energy transition challenge.
We are looking for an electricity policy analyst to support our research work in India. Your work will help direct attention to the policy decisions necessary for India to achieve its renewable energy goals for the power sector and set the course this decade for achieving its long-term net-zero target.
This role is a unique opportunity to potentially influence one of the most important policy areas of this decade in India. It builds upon Ember’s previous work in Asia tracking and commenting on the electricity transition, which has already had an impact in countries across Asia.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have a proven record of producing compelling data-led research or analysis and have an understanding of India’s energy and climate policy landscape. Your primary focus will be India. However, it may extend to other countries in the South Asian region and other globally-focussed reports region when called upon.
This is a remote role, with a preference to being based in India. working with a pan-Asian team, and reporting to Ember’s Asia Programme Director.
- Produce compelling, data-led research, analysis and commentary for publication and internal use.
- Support Ember’s ongoing research and advocacy work in India to help accelerate its transition to clean electricity.
- Build and maintain an network of external stakeholders and experts to maximise impact on the wider policy debate and explore opportunities for collaboration
- Support in addressing media queries related to India’s electricity transition
- Minimum 4 years of experience working in a research or analytical role on India’s energy transition
- Strong understanding of India’s power sector policies and barriers to India’s clean electricity transition
- Experience of developing technical research, policy reports and articles independently as well as strong verbal communication skills
- Skill for communicating the key insights from a complex subject or dataset in an accessible and compelling way
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with policy-makers, think-tanks, journalists, companies and campaign groups
- Self-motivated, able to work independently; able to multitask; set priorities and meet deadlines with limited direction while working remotely
- A natural collaborator with a disposition to work generously with colleagues.
- Fluent in English and Hindi
Nice to have
- Proven experience in creating policy impact through data and research in India
- Experience with media, especially handling queries and giving interviews
- Experience with power sector modelling
- Vision for a 1.5 degree complaint pathway for India’s electricity sector
- Experience in data visualisation
- Knowledge of the power sector in other South Asian countries
Salary & hours
- 39,449 USD per year
- Full time (but only working 9 days every fortnight with no reduction in pay), permanent subject to a 3 month probationary period.
- We operate a nine-day fortnight meaning our full-time staff are given every other Friday off work with no reduction in pay
- 25 days holiday, and for each year that you're part of the team at Ember you'll receive an additional day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days.
- Generous paid maternity and paternity leave
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working.
- Access to a local working space can also be arranged for employees
- Access to a counselling service
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Paid volunteer day
- Two paid days off to enable low carbon travel
- Season Ticket loan
Deadline for applications
The application closes at 23:59 (UK time) on 03 March 2024.
How to apply
To apply please complete our online application form by 3rd March 2024. We encourage you to submit your application early, as we may close the post early if sufficient applications are received before the deadline.
Full job spec
For the full role details, please download the file below.
Electricity Policy Analyst, India — PDF 58 KB
Working at Ember
Ember is an independent, not-for-profit energy think tank that aims to accelerate the clean energy transition with data and policy. We gather, curate and analyse data on the power sector and coal mine methane emissions, and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy.
See our work at www.ember-climate.org and https://twitter.com/EmberClimate