Now that Ember enters a new phase of growth a Managing Director position is required to support the key Ember management teams in their aim to expand Ember’s impact globally.
It requires a personality that combines strategic vision in the climate sector, strong management expertise and technical depth in the area of energy transition. In return, you will be leading a dynamic and high quality team that is making a major impact in the world of energy change.
It currently has a leadership team based on policy, operations, communications, data and strategy development. Ember also has an oversight Board which supports the overall direction of the group.
The role will require a combination of strategic support, leadership development, communications and Board interaction.
- Work with the Ember leadership team to create a strategic vision for the organisation in its bid to lead the energy transition from coal to clean
- Develop the skills and capabilities of the leadership team and their global staff, to ensure Ember continues to maximise its impact across the globe
- Work with the Ember leadership and Board to generate new funding options and support existing funder relationships
- Work with the Ember leadership team to ensure Ember works and impacts as a global think tank, not a UK think tank
- Ensure financial oversight of Ember
- Work with the leadership team to ensure that the various strategy, policy, data, communications and new project areas are aligned and integrated
- Ensure the development of appropriate management processes and systems to ensure the efficient growth and governance and financial management of the expanding Ember organisation
- Explore new areas for the Ember approach to have impact, including expanding our Coal Mine Methane team
- Represent Ember and its work with key stakeholders internally and externally - help to grow the international brand and impact
- Lead on quarterly Board meetings and with Board interface
- Leadership role in NGO or private sector (ideally in policy, climate, or energy transition, within a think tank)
- Wide experience in team management in a growing global, remote team
- Track record of working with an organisation to maximise impact
- Excellent communications and teamworking capability, ability to empower others, transparent in approach. An enabler, not a commander. Bring in empathy, to empower the team to change the world
- Deep managerial and governance experience of growing organisations and people development skills
- Walking the Ember values - climate passion; evidence not ideology; action and impact-focused; political nous - need to be able to spot the tipping points
- Strong network of funders and experts in the climate sector
- Experience of working with advisory and management Boards
- Proven knowledge of the electricity transition
- Passion and expertise in the use of data to drive change in the world
Deadline for applications
The application closes at 23:59 (UK time) on 16 October 2022.
How to apply
Upload details of your CV and suitability for the role using our online application form
We may close the deadline early in case of a high number of applications.
Managing Director Prospectus
For full details, download the file below.
MD Prospectus - Careers page. — PDF 8 MB
Working at Ember
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and to phase out coal. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy.
You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.