Senior Analyst Climate and Energy, Indonesia
A significant barrier to Indonesia’s transition to clean power is high dependence on fossil fuels for electricity generation, wherein coal is the highest contributor. This means that the coal industry plays a critical role in both the energy and climate challenge. Coal mining is the largest source of methane emissions in Indonesia, but these emissions remain unmonitored. Methane is the 2nd biggest contributor to global warming with shorter atmospheric lifetime but stronger potency and warming potential. This Coal Mine Methane (CMM) is set to grow significantly, unless, of course, intervened.
As highlighted by the IPCC and IEA, addressing Coal Mine Methane is also one of the most cost-effective emissions reduction strategies in the short term.
Ember has already made a major international impact in drawing attention to the methane crisis in Australia and the European Union. Please read more about our work here: https://ember-climate.org/topics/coal-mine-methane
Ember sees an opportunity in Indonesia to utilize our approach to critical data analysis to evaluate the impact of coal mine methane and reduce the climate impact of the coal sector. Indonesia is increasing coal production, but we see significant opportunity to make progress in Indonesia, as a signatory to the Global Methane Pledge. There is a crucial window to shine the light on the issue and the opportunities to abate these emissions, especially as technology already exists to do so.
Ember is looking for a passionate Senior Analyst to lead Ember’s Coal Mine Methane (CMM) activities in Indonesia, with support from our existing CMM team based in Europe, Australia and India.
To apply you do not need specific expertise in mining or coal mine methane, but a broad understanding of the climate and energy landscape and an appetite to work with many different stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have:
– Adequate capacity to research and source national data on methane emissions to support our efforts to reduce emissions in Indonesia
– A deep understanding of climate and energy topics
– A good sense of the related developments in the country
– A strong network in government and may also have relationships with international and Indonesian NGOs
- Lead Ember’s research on Indonesia’s coal mine methane (CMM) emissions to better understand the challenges and opportunities
- Gather data that can be analysed and used to tell a story of the significance of methane in Indonesia’s coal mining sector
- Use data and research to write op-eds and reports that grab attention with the right players
- Collaborate with Ember’s existing team in Indonesia and build relationships with research institutes, think tanks and government organisations
- Lead on developing a strategy for how to raise the priority of CMM and how to realise the opportunities in improving the monitoring and capture of CMM.
- Align our CMM work with the wider energy transition in Indonesia
- Brief government and NGO contacts on CMM opportunities and lead workshops/webinars and panel discussions to improve awareness
- Use understanding of the policy landscape to identify opportunities and tipping points where we might shift the narrative and have an impact on CMM
- Ability to research and source coal mining emissions data and curate datasets
- Minimum five (5) years working in relevant senior research, analyst or policy positions for a climate think tank, NGO, academia or private sector organisation working in Indonesia (background in the mining industry also welcomed);
- An effective networker with an established network in Indonesia’s energy and coal space and contacts in relevant government organisations
- Knowledge of the coal sector in Indonesia and where this fits with climate, energy and environmental politics and experience in developing strategies to influence policy
- Able to work independently and effectively in both spoken and written English and Indonesian, such as writing articles and reports without supervision and attending meetings with Indonesian government officials.
- Passionate about reducing global greenhouse gas emissions
- Confident working remotely with a broad range of people, from different countries and timezones.
Nice to have
- Experience of working with anthropogenic methane emissions (coal, oil, gas, agriculture, biogas…)
- Experience of developing policy or campaigning in the policy field
- Experience liaising with key government ministries and agencies in Indonesia, such as Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK), Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (Kemen ESDM), Ministry of National Development Planning (Bappenas), and/or National Energy Council (DEN)
- Experience liaising with private sector, particularly coal companies
- Communications/outreach experience to communicate complex ideas succinctly and to influence climate narratives
- Fascination with data and data visualisation
Salary & hours
- Full time (but only working 9 days every fortnight with no reduction in pay), permanent subject to a 3 month probationary period.
- Please note this is a remote post by you would need to be based in Indonesia, ideally in the Greater Jakarta area, and occasional travel within Indonesia might be necessary
- We operate a nine-day fortnight meaning our full-time staff are given every other Friday off work with no reduction in pay
- 25 days holiday, plus UK bank holidays (unless local statutory minimums are higher)
- For each year that you're part of the team at Ember you'll receive an additional day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days.
- Generous paid maternity and paternity leave
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working
- Access to a local working space can be arranged
- Access to a counselling service
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Paid volunteer day
- Two paid days off to enable low carbon travel
- Season Ticket loan
Deadline for applications
The application closes at 23:50 (UK time) on 19 June 2023.
How to apply
To apply please complete our online application form by 6 June 2023.
We encourage you to submit your application early, as we may close the post early if sufficient applications are received before the deadline.
Full job spec
For the full job spec, please download the file below.CMM Senior Analyst Indonesia — PDF 66 KB
Working at Ember
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and to phase out coal. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy.
You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.