Senior Energy Analyst, Türkiye
We are hiring a new experienced analyst, primarily focused on Türkiye. You will help us use data to accelerate the energy transition in Türkiye from coal to clean.
Be part of a dynamic team and make a difference to the world we live in.
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and phase-out coal. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change.
Ember started work in Türkiye in 2021. We produce cutting-edge research to support high impact, politically viable policies that aim to help Türkiye reach its 2053 net zero target. We are now looking for a senior analyst to use Ember’s data into action approach to make a further impact in the energy transition debate in Türkiye. To this end, you are expected to have previous experience in the electricity sector and passion to make a change towards 100% clean power in Türkiye.
This is a remote role, The Senior Energy Analyst, Türkiye will report to the Regional Lead and will be part of the team responsible for the MENA and Western Balkans regions.
- Create data-driven insight pieces including briefings, reports, social media posts and data visualisations in line with Ember’s Türkiye strategy on specific aspects of electricity transition to reach, inform, influence and challenge decision-makers.
- Deliver presentations, webinars, media interviews and contribute to key stakeholders meetings and conferences.
- Ensure your analyses and policy recommendations reach the policy-makers & energy sector leaders, and expand your network accordingly.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders in Türkiye to help shape your electricity and policy insights.
- Contribute to Ember’s Türkiye strategy with your own research ideas.
- Follow global innovations, and the regional economic, political or regulatory risks/opportunities that may accelerate/hinder the electricity transition in Türkiye.
- Proactively seek out new data/analyses/reports/papers on global energy transition that can support Ember’s work in Türkiye.
- 5+ years of experience in electricity/energy sector.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Turkish electricity system and the relevant regulations on renewables.
- An established network in the energy sector.
- Proven ability to create change and influence decision-makers using data.
- Advanced level of analytical thinking.
- Passion about the global electricity transition.
- Open-mindedness, non-ideological approach.
- Cultural/diplomatic sensitivity, understanding diverse perspectives.
- Maintaining objectivity when opinions are challenged by peers or stakeholders.
- Networking - actively builds a network of contacts to achieve objectives.
- Fluent in Turkish and English, verbal and written.
Nice to Have
- Previous experience in solar power sector.
- Existing network of contacts across policy-makers and media.
- Experience using analytical packages like Python or R.
- Experience in other countries in the MENA and Western Balkans regions.
- Skills in other languages used in the MENA and Western Balkans regions.
Salary & hours
- Salary: competitive,
- Full-time (but only working 9 days every fortnight with no reduction in pay), permanent subject to a 3-month probationary period. For employees based outside of the UK, a local payroll contract is available, dependent on the country.
We offer a competitive benefits package, including
- 25 days holiday, plus UK bank holidays (unless local statutory minimums are higher) and for each year that you're part of the team at Ember you'll receive an additional day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days
- Generous paid maternity and paternity leave
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working
- Access to a local working space can also be arranged for employees
- Free annual eye tests
- Access to a counselling service
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Paid volunteer day
- Two paid days off to enable low carbon travel
- Time off to donate blood
- Season Ticket loan
Deadline for applications
The application closes at 23:59 (UK time) on 11 June 2023.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please apply here. The closing date for this role is 11th June 2023, although we reserve the right to close the position early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Download Job details
For the full job details please download the file belowSenior Energy Analyst, Türkiye — PDF 72 KB
Working at Ember
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and to phase out coal. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy.
You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.