Asia/Pacific Climate & energy communications consultant(Remote, 1 year)
Asia/Pacific Climate & energy communications consultant (Remote, 1 year)
Bring your strategic communications expertise to strengthen an exciting coalition of global NGOs at a pivotal moment in the journey to end coal power.
Ember is recruiting a talented communications consultant who will take the initiative to deliver high impact media outputs and jump on opportunities to shape the narrative in this critical year.
This role will provide strategic communications support to a coalition of NGOs and think tanks, who have joined forces to accelerate power sector decarbonisation in OECD countries and reduce global emissions. The task force, having started in April 2021, has seasoned experts and campaigners who prioritise making impact in a rapidly changing landscape during this critical year.
Momentum is building. The IEA’s Net Zero Roadmap showed that OECD countries must end coal power by 2030 and target zero-carbon power by 2035. The G7 recently declared it will end coal financing and target ‘overwhelmingly’ decarbonised electricity in the 2030s. The window is open, and there is a huge opportunity to shift the narrative further to drastically raise ambition. The opportunity is open – we now need your strategic comms knowledge, your ability to persuade and win coverage, and your can-do attitude to help us make the biggest impact possible during this year. You will be closely working with a Europe-based comms consultant.
- Participate in weekly taskforce calls and keep close contact with related groups in order to steer comms outputs
- Design a forward looking comms strategy around key OECD external events, and design and implement outputs based on this
- Secure strategic media coverage – Place influencer voices in top tier media, plant op eds in support of strategic outcomes before key moments
- Coordinate comms activation for key moments, including G20, UNGA and COP26.
- Identify and deliver paid-for opportunities, including ads in top tier media, digital advertising
- Provide comms collateral for partner NGOs in the task force to utilise – to add value to their existing work in line with agreed outcomes
- Monitor the landscape to identify reactive opportunities and implement rapidly
- Review comms strategy for fit in current landscape, after developments during the first half of the year
- A passion for tackling climate change
- At least 6 years experience in a communications capacity
- Experience of media and political landscape in Asia/Pacific
- Proactive and independent approach
- Good organisational skills and ability to balance multiple tasks independently
- Experience running a press office function
Great to have
- Established media contacts in the sector
- Asian language skills
- Knowledge of energy sector
- Media/PR background
Fee: £45-55,000 GBP, depending on experience (or £175-225 day rate)
Duration: 1 year contract – with the expectation of extension, dependent on further funding.
Applying: Please send a CV & 1 page cover letter to email@example.com, addressed to Hannah Broadbent. Please also include your earliest start date.
Apply as soon as possible – we are interviewing now.
Ember is an innovative non-profit think tank, using data to accelerate the global electricity transition and the coal phase-out. We track changes in the global power system – and use our findings to seed major shifts in international energy and climate policy. We’ve got a strong track record of influence on a lean budget. You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of a Asian and European team that’s having a real impact on the end of coal power.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.