Data Developer (UK - Based)Join a fast-growing international team using data to tackle climate change.
Ember is an innovative non-profit think tank, using data to accelerate the global electricity transition and the coal phase-out. We track changes in the global power system – and use our findings to seed major shifts in international energy and climate policy. We’ve got a strong track record of influence on a lean budget. You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of a Asian and European team that’s having a real impact on the end of coal power.
What’s the Job?
Ember is recruiting a talented data developer who will take ownership of our core electricity generation and emission data. Data can help change the world, tracking the global electricity transition is critical. The broader Ember team – and key stakeholders, especially campaign groups, politicians and academics – turn our data into action, to impact the speed of the electricity transition. Ember’s data team is growing, and this role would provide knowledge, ideas and experience into the broader team as a peer, with potential to manage a team in the future.
We want to expand our current electricity generation data to more frequent updates, wider geographical coverage, and to include other electricity data metrics such as capacity and emissions. We also want to improve the visualisation and access to the data.
The wider Ember team of electricity experts will give you valuable support to bring insights into electricity data and to complement your technical competency with data, leveraging your ability to impact. The role will report into the Head of Global Data.
Applying: Please send a CV & 1 page cover letter to email@example.com, addressed to Dave Jones. Please also include your earliest start date.
Applications will close midnight on Sunday 28th November 2021.
- Own the running and maintenance of Ember’s core global electricity data and the data architecture.
- Own the expansion plan and improvements to Ember’s core data.
- Implement that expansion plan, working with the data team to scrape and host the data in the most efficient and reliable way.
- Work with the whole Ember team to make sure the core data is visualised impactfully.
- Ensure the data is easily and reliably accessible to stakeholders within and outside of Ember
- Assist other organisations and projects with data expertise
- Experience in database management
- Experience in data strategy and project management
- Proactive and delivery-focused
- Strong team collaboration
- A passion for creating open data to tackle climate change
- An understanding of energy data – and ideally electricity data.
- Interest in leading a small data team in the future
- Interest and experience in data visualization
- Experience in development of front-end data visualisation
- Experience in building and maintaining a public API
- Built a network in the open climate data community
Salary: £30-50,000, depending on experience
Holiday and Pension
- 25 days holiday (excluding Bank Holidays)
- Plus additional time off between Christmas and New Year
- For each year that you’re part of the team at Ember you’ll receive an additional 1 day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days.
- A pension plan with employer contribution of 3%
- Full-time position; 6-month probation clause
- Office (when we return!) includes free breakfasts, free yoga, once-a-week beer & pizza
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Volunteer Day (e.g. team tree-planting)
- Time-off to donate blood
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.