Energy and Climate Data AnalystJoin a fast-growing international team using data to tackle climate change.
Role: Energy and Climate Data Analyst
Location: Any European time zone (with travel to London)
Salary: £30,000 – £40,000 per annum depending on experience.
Deadline: Midnight GMT, 26th September, with interviews planned for the following two weeks.
To Apply: Send a CV & a 1 page cover letter to email@example.com, addressed to Charles Moore. In the cover letter, please include your earliest start date. You must include a cover letter in your application to be considered for the role.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.
What’s the role?
The new energy and climate data analyst will sit within the fossil fuels unit of our European team, reporting to the senior analyst who leads the unit. The work will primarily focus on accelerating the phase-out of fossil fuels in the European electricity sector and eliminating government subsidies for fossil fuel power. In doing so you will be helping to deliver Ember’s vision of a zero-carbon electricity system in the 2030s.
There is a large and growing resource of data and research available on coal and fossil gas power plants in Europe; we need someone who can bring it all together, cut through the noise and draw out the critical insights that will influence decision-makers and drive real emissions reductions. Where gaps in the data or analysis are preventing effective climate advocacy, the new energy and climate data analyst will quickly move to fill those gaps in collaboration with European partners. This will be especially relevant as our work on fossil gas gathers pace in the coming years.
What is Ember?
Ember is an independent energy & climate think tank, using data to drive down carbon emissions from electricity generation and phase-out coal. We gather, curate and analyse data on the global power system – and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. You’ll be joining us at a period of rapid growth, and be part of an innovative team that’s having a global impact in tackling climate change. We are also a founding member of Subak, the world’s first non-profit accelerator that scales climate impact through data, policy and behaviour change.
- Gather, curate and analyse data on the European electricity and energy system.
- Tell powerful data stories relevant to climate change which reach, inform and challenge decision-makers. To do so, you will use a wide range of outputs including: blogs, briefings, reports, social media and data visualisations. As well as presentations, webinars and meetings with key stakeholders.
- Proactively seek out new data sources and analysis techniques that can support climate campaigning in the power sector and develop innovative ways to communicate them.
- Work collaboratively and build a wide network with our European partners to share data, ideas, analysis & expertise.
- Become Ember’s focal point and expert on advocacy-relevant data on Europe’s fossil fuel power stations.
- Passionate about using data to tackle climate change.
- 4+ years of experience in a relevant analytical role.
- Skill for communicating the key insights from large datasets in an accessible way.
- Solid understanding of energy & climate issues.
- High proficiency in using analytical packages in R, Python or similar.
- Ability to conduct independent research and get to grips with new concepts quickly.
- A positive, flexible, can-do attitude, coupled with self-motivation and the ability to work independently.
- Strong communication skills – written and oral. Excellent command of the English language.
- Ability to develop and maintain networks.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
Nice to have
- Business proficiency in one additional European language other than English.
- Deep understanding of the European electricity system and related climate issues.
- Previous experience in a campaigning or policy environment.
- Experience developing advanced data visualisations.
- Experience using data to tell a story.
- An established network in the energy & climate space.
We would welcome applications from candidates based in any European time zone. Depending on the latest coronavirus situation, candidates based outside of the UK would be required to travel to our London offices at least quarterly (on Ember expense) but would otherwise be working remotely. Candidates based in the UK would need to have the right to work in the country, applicants based outside of the UK would be governed by an Employer Of Record contract.
Holiday and Pension
- 25 days holiday (excluding Bank Holidays)
- Plus additional time off between Christmas and New Year
- For each year that you’re part of the team at Ember you’ll receive an additional 1 day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days
- A pension plan with employer contribution of 3%
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working.
- Office (when we return!) includes free yoga and once-a-week free beer
- Fully funded access to a local co-working space if not based in London
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Volunteer Day (e.g. team tree-planting)
- Time-off to donate blood
Ember’s history: For over a decade we have worked on climate policy in Europe as Sandbag, winning reform to the EU CO2-pricing market, and a succession of wins on coal phase-outs in Europe. We are now rebranded as Ember as we take the fight against coal global. We turn data into action: we gather, curate and analyse data on the global transition from coal to clean electricity and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. See our work at www.ember-climate.org and https://twitter.com/EmberClimate