Apply immediately – we are interviewing now.
Apply through LinkedIn, by attaching a short cover letter and CV.
What is Ember?
Ember is a fast growing energy & climate think tank, finding innovative ways to use data to end the use of coal – the most important way to tackle the climate change crisis. We have funding secured to double our team size in the coming 6 months, from the current size of 17. You’ll be joining a well-respected team that is already having a global impact in tackling climate change, with recent policy wins from our expert analysts in Poland, the UK, India, and Turkey.
What’s the role?
The world needs to rapidly transition to clean power to tackle the climate crisis. In order to impact on that, we need a progressive People Generalist to help us double the size of our team as we hire in Asia and the Middle East, over the next 6-12 months.
We are looking for a hands-on people leader to develop and oversee a people and hiring strategy that allows our think-tank to scale. The People Manager will drive our people strategy, ensuring that our team continues to be engaged in our mission and are set up for success in their roles.
Location: Preferably in the UK, for which you would need to have the right to work in the country (our main office is in London, but we have flexible working conditions and are currently remote working).
However, we would also welcome remote working applications from any European time zone, but this would begin on a consultancy basis.
We are especially keen to encourage applications from people underrepresented in climate change analysis and campaigning. Climate change is a race issue, a class issue, and a gender issue. We welcome applicants with lived experiences of these issues.
- As our team grows from 17 to 30+, you’ll help professionalise Ember’s HR and procedures such as onboarding, compensation review and talent development
- Expanding our base, you’ll help open a possible new office in south east Asia
- Oversee the hiring strategy of a new team of data analysts and power sector experts in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, partnering with local specialist recruiters
- Take proactive steps to ensure that Ember develops to be an inclusive employer who reaps the rewards of a diverse team
- Drive an engaging and people first onboarding experience
- Develop a set of organisational values and ensure they are embedded throughout the employee experience
- Support employee wellness through policy, comms and initiatives
- Strategic input to the management team on sustainable growth for the organisation covering areas such as cultural development, DEI and organisational design
- Advise and mentor managers on developing their teams, building capability and identifying talent
- Lead on people planning and skills gap assessments – ensuring the right people in the right roles at the right time
- Cultural development of a globally disparate team as we grow across different continents
- Encourage a culture of ongoing and continuous feedback across the business
- Review & improve our performance management, compensation and reward processes
- Record and interpret HR data to spot trends and help the organisation more efficiently reach its goals
- Working with our accountant and payroll provider to manage payroll and issues such as maternity leave and sick leave.
- Work collaboratively with other HR professionals in our NGO and think tank partners to share processes and learning
- 4+ years of experience in a human resources role
- Robust knowledge of employment law and the ability to research and understand overseas employment law in locations such as South East Asia with the necessary expert support made available when needed
- Self-starter with strong organisational skills and effective time management.
- You have the foresight and judgment to identify and address employee and structural issues before they impact business performance
- You’re proactive and able to balance your workload between inbound requests from stakeholders and finding time to build for the future
- You relish the idea of self-learning and personal development
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Nice to have
- Passionate about tackling climate change.
- Fluent in additional languages, especially in Asia
What we offer
Holiday and Pension
- 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- Plus additional time off between Christmas and New Year
- For each year that you’re part of the team at Ember you’ll receive an additional 1 day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days
- A pension plan with employer contribution of 3%
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working. We’re currently mainly working remotely, but have access to a central London office shared with other NGOs
- Office (when we return!) includes free breakfasts, free yoga, once-a-week beer & pizza
- Season Ticket Loan
- Free annual eye tests
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Volunteer Day (e.g. team tree-planting)
- Two paid days off for low carbon travel
- Time-off to donate blood
Ember’s history: For over a decade we’ve worked on climate policy in Europe as Sandbag, winning reform to the EU CO2-pricing market, and a succession of wins on coal phase-outs in Europe. We’re now rebranded as Ember as we take the fight against coal globally. We turn data into action: we gather, curate and analyse data on the global transition from coal to clean electricity and use our findings to improve energy and climate policy. See our work at www.ember-climate.org and https://twitter.com/EmberClimate